The South Carolina Bar Commission on Judicial Independence and Impartiality was created to provide appropriate and timely responses to criticism of judges and courts.
The Commission is made up of five public members and three lawyer members. Its responsibilities are to:
(1) respond to unjust criticism when rules of conduct prevent response by the individuals subject to the criticism;
(2) address errors or inaccuracies in reporting criticism of judges and courts;
(3) serve as a resource for obtaining unbiased information concerning judicial activities and court process;
(4) encourage dissemination of information to the public about noteworthy achievements and improvements within the justice system; and
(5) seek a better understanding within communities of the legal system and the roles of judges and lawyers.